St Petrocks, Deanery of Christianity
Chanter 225A, 272-273
Addressed to Mr Christopher Roberts
[Note, ‘at my approaching Primary Visitation, and may be deliver’d either to the Register, or to my Secretary’ crossed through and ‘to me’ written in the margin. Date given as ‘Exeter, Jul. 2. 1745]
- Population and dissenters: There are in the Parish of St Petrock fifty five Families. Of these twenty one are Dissenters: viz Presbyterians twelve: Arians Six: Antipædobaptists two: Papist-one. There is no Meeting House in this Parish.
- Public or charity schools: There is no Publick or Charity School in this Parish.
- Alms-house, hospital or charitable endowment:
There in no Alms-House, Hospital or other Charitable Endowment in this Parish: but there is an Alms House belonging to it, Situate in the Parish of St Paul in ye City of Exeter. There are Lands & sevral Tenements belonging to this Parish. The Church Wardens have ye Direction of ye Income. The Ch: is repaird out of it: tho not left for ye Purpose.
- Residence upon cure: There is no Parsonage or Vicarage House belonging to ye Minister in this Parish: for which reason I do not personally reside upon my Cure: but live in a House at Bradninch within ye City of Exeter.
- Curate: I have no Curate for ye Parish of St Petrock.
- Divine service at other churches: No.
- Frequency of divine service: Divine Service is performd twice evry Lord Day in ye Ch: of St Petrock; with a Sermon in ye morning & Afternoon: Also, evry Monday & thursday and on all Holy-days.
- Frequency of communion: Once a month-throughout the year.
- Number of communicants: About fifty; out of which there usually receive between twenty & thirty: at Easter there might be between thirty and forty.
- Catechising of children: The Children are Chatechizd evry year at Lent or there-abouts. I do not Know of any Children or Servants that have not learn’d their Chatechism. The Servants are always examined before Confirmation.
- Chapels or chapels in ruins: There is no chapel within this Parish.
Christo: Roberts Min of St Petrock.
St Petrock R. Christo: Roberts. A:M:
Sequest[ratio]n: Octr 15. 1721. Presb: Septr.22. 1717.
W. Sarum. [Explanation]