Halwell Chapl., Deanery of Totton
Chanter 225B, 495-496
[The queries on this return have been written out neatly by a scribe, and not printed.]
- Population and dissenters: We have in ye Parish about Fifty Familys, of which one only is a Dissenter; & That of ye Presbyterian Sort: We have neither Meeting-House nor Teacher.
- Public or charity schools: None.
- Alms-house, hospital or charitable endowment: None.
- Residence upon cure: This is a Chapl. or Daughter Church to Harberton for which there is a Curate allow'd, entirely, for serving it: I am ye Curate & reside in ye proper House, which is a House call'd the Minister's House; & is maintain'd at ye Charge of ye Parish, solely, for ye Curate, by Agreement of 400 years – standing, as may be seen, between ye Vicar and Parishioners confirm'd also by ye Bishop.
- Curate: The Curate, as before, resides: My Name is Roger Harris I am qualify'd according to ye Canons: I live in ye Curacy House. I have an Allowance of Thirty Pounds a year.
- Divine service at other churches: No; unless it be, occasionally, to help a neighbouring Clergyman.
- Frequency of divine service: Divine Service is perform'd Every Lords Day twice, with a Sermon in ye morning and Afternoon: And likewise on Other Days, according to ye Direction of Authority.
- Frequency of communion: Eight Times in ye Year.
- Number of communicants: We have about Fourscore Communicants, which usually receives very Few excepted. In Particular, ye Number of them was thereabouts last Easter.
- Catechising of children: The Children are Catechiz'd, generally, every Summer against which, ye Parishioners instruct them at home, to be heard by me in ye Church.
- Chapels or chapels in ruins: None.
Halwell Roger Harris, A.B. licens'd March 11. 1719.
Presb. May 27th 1716.
Offspring Exon. [Explanation]