Peter Tavy, Deanery of Tamerton
Chanter 225B, 465-466
- Population and dissenters: We have Fifty three Familys, but no Dissenter of any Denomination.
- Public or charity schools: There is no Publick or Charity School.
- Alms-house, hospital or charitable endowment: There is an House call'd the Church house near the Church Yard applyd to the Use of the Poor, when or by whom founded I know not a widow Gentlewoman of Launceston in Cornwal left last year a Benefaction of Five pounds a year payable out of all Her effects to Five poor widows of this Parish to be pay'd by Her Executrix during Her life, & those succeeding her Fifty years after. The Trustees for which are Mrs Pengelly of Portridge, & the Revd Mr Wm Salmon vicar of Milton Abbott.
- Residence upon cure: The Bishop of Landaff is Rector of Peter Tavy.
- Curate: I was Licensed to the cure of Peter-tavy by the late Lord Bishop of Exeter with the Salary of thirty Pounds a year and Surplice Fees; His Lordship was pleas'd to give me leave to reside in my vicarage house of Whitchurch little more than two miles distant from the Church of Peter tavy, as the Person whom his Lordship Licens'd to the Cure of Whitchurch is Master of the Grammar School in Tavistock, & therefore not capable of Residence. And I Humbly beg your Lordship to grant me the same Favour.
- Divine service at other churches: I alternately perform Divine Service at this Cure and my own of Whitchurch.
- Frequency of divine service: We have Divine Service perform'd allways twice on Sundays with a Sermon in the Morning.
- Frequency of communion: The Sacrament is Administred here Eight times a year at the three great Festivals, and at equal distances from them.
- Number of communicants: There are about Sixty Communicants in this Parish, and upwards of thirty Communicated at Easter Last.
- Catechising of children: I have every year since I was Licens'd to this Cure Catechiz'd the Children on several Sunday[s] dureing the Summer season, and the number of Catechumes encreases Yearly.
- Chapels or chapels in ruins: There is no Chapel in this Parish.