Stoke Cannon, peculiar of the Dean and Chapter
Chanter 225C, 1253-1254
[Addressed to Mr Tho. Prowse, Curate of Stoke Canon. The words 'at my approaching Primary Visitation, and may be deliver'd either to the Register, or to my Secretary' are crossed through and 'And sent to me under a cover by the General Post' entered in the margin. Dated 16 June 1746]
- Population and dissenters: About 30 Families. Of these none are Dissenters. There is no Meeting House in the Parish.
- Public or charity schools: There is no Publick or Charity School in my Parish.
- Alms-house, hospital or charitable endowment: There is no Alms-house, Hospital or other Charitable Endowment in my Parish, nor any Lands or Tenements left to any Pious Use.
- Residence upon cure: I do reside at Dawlish.
- Curate: I have a residing Curate. His Name is Richard Ellicombe, is duly qualified according to ye Canons, and lives in my House at Stoke Canon. I allow him Thirty pounds a year, besides ye Surplice Fees.
- Divine service at other churches: My Curate performs Divine Service in no church besides his own.
- Frequency of divine service: Divine Service is performed in my Church Twice every Sunday with a Sermon in the Morning, & on all Holidays.
- Frequency of communion: Four Times in the year.
- Number of communicants: About Forty. They usually Receive about 14 each time. There was about that number at Easter last.
- Catechising of children: In ye afternoon during the Summer Season.
- Chapels or chapels in ruins: There is no Chappel or Ruins of any within my Parish.