Revd the Min[iste]r of Broadhembury
Chanter 232A, 257
Parish of Broadhembury county of Devon. Rev'd Theophilus Blackall Rector of St Mary's Exeter vicar Rev'd Peter Davy Foulkes curate.
- Residence, curate and lecturer: [No answer given]
- Other benefices: [No answer given]
- Divine service at other churches: I perform divine Service at no Church besides Broadhembury.
- Frequency of divine service: Divine Service is performed twice on the Lord's Day, with a sermon in the afternoon, that being a more convenient time for the parishioners than the morning.
- Frequency of communion: The sacrament of the Lord's Supper is administered four times in the year, at the three great Festivals and at Michaelmas; the number of communicants from fifty to seventy.
- Catechising of children: I catechise the youth of my parish between Easter and Whitsunday.
- Church fabric: My Church and Chancel are in good repair, the Church-yard is well kept, and I have everything decent for divine service.
- Glebe terrier: [No answer given]
- Number of families: Number of Families is about 160.
- Chapels: There is no Chapel within my parish.
- Papists, dissenters and meeting houses: There are no reputed papists in my parish, nor is there at present any meeting-House for a dissenting congregation, but, I have heard that one will soon be open'd, licensed by the Justices at their next quarter Sessions, for the assembling of a congregation of what are generally term'd methodists.
- School, alms-houses, hospital and charitable endowments: There is a School in my parish for the education of poor Children for reading and writing, supported partly by lands left for that purpose, and partly by the parish rates, which is properly taken care of. There is neither Alms-House, Hospital or parochial Library.
- Charity: Several <small> sums of money have been left to be given to the poor, in bread at different times of the year, all which as far as I know, not having served the parish one year as yet, are duly applied.
Priest's orders and institution: My Lord,
According to your Lordship's directions, I have set down answers to all the above queries which concern me as curate to the Rev'd Mr Blackall vicar of Broadhembury, which, I hope, will meet with your Lordship's approbation, those unanswered are such as more immediately concern the vicar, and will, I humbly presume, be in a great measure answered by himself as Rector of St Mary's in Exeter. My Salary is [illegible deletion] thirty pounds per annum House and Gardens and I have applied to your Lordship's secretary for a Licence. My priests orders are dated June 15 1777. I am with the greatest respect your Lordship's most humble servant and Brother.
Peter Davy Foulkes
Broadhembury near Honiton May 12 1778.